Going to see "the faces" (aka Mt Rushmore) has been something I've wanted to do, but never thought I'd be able to because...really...what's there to do in South Dakota besides see Mt. Rushmore and who would ever vacation to do so? When I found out that it was a 7 hr drive from Colorado Springs, it was a no-brainer. Within days, we had our hotel booked and trip planned. And I will admit that I stand corrected about South Dakota...somewhat. There is still not very much to do, but the faces and the Custer State Park were amazing! I thought Yellowstone and Grand Teton were beautiful, but South Dakota came a very close second.
Mt. Rushmore was so cool and I'm glad that I was able to see it. It is amazing that something like that could be carved out of stone and in such detail. We actually got to meet a guy that worked on it for 4 years! They had a nice little trail (not stroller friendly!) to walk up and you got to see a camp set up by Native Americans showing us how they lived. You also get pretty close to the faces and see the detail. Fun fact: Did you know that the sculptor originally had planned to carve out all the way to the presidents waists, including hands? He ended up dying and it stayed the way it was. He had sculptures of what he wanted them to look like. It was neat to see the difference.
Custer State Park was equally amazing! Not as much wildlife as Yellowstone or Grand Teton, but plenty of wide open spaces! We did see some prairie dogs (nothing too special), lots of buffalo(very cool), and Burros (just about the coolest ever!). The Burros have been dubbed "begging burros" and we have pictures to prove why! They literally came up to our windows and begged for food. We gave them some of our grapes and veggie straws (which by the way are a definite Friday Favorite!) and they were hooked. They had their entire heads inside our car.


10 Shoutouts!:
I think Buggy's face would look perfect up there! I actually really enjoyed South Dakota...drove thru from Missouri to California. I also highly suggest Mesa Verde and Pagosa Springs(southwest CO). And then also Arches National Park...all of them are probably closer to you than SD!
Great pictures! I really like the family pic w/o mt rushmore in the back! :) it looks like a great trip!
WOW! I have always wanted to go to Mt. Rushmore! You were absolutely cracking me up with the drive in wildlife exhibition!
How fun!
So cool!!
Would love to go see it;-) Looks like you had a good time. Got lots of good pics;-)
i love the picture with bill feeding the burros from his car too funny!! what was that guy thinking taking the picture without mt rushmore!! haha, that is funny too ;) what a fun trip, i have always wanted to go there, it looks really cool ;) great pics!!
I love the burro's. You should have brought one home as a pet!
Great pictues!!! I swear that little girl has been to more places than I will ever get to go to!!! :) Next trip...AZ???
What an exciting trip! I can't wait to see what the next destination is.
Looks like a great time. I would have to agree with the rest, you sure do travel a lot!
Post a Comment