Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Why should the government be responsible for my shopping?

Throughout these presidential primaries, I can't help but find a common theme: The government should "save" me from my credit card debt and housing mortgages. Are people serious?

Lucky or unlucky for us, we don't own a house because we knew that we couldn't afford one, even when the interest rates were low and everyone was buying. Yeah, we were approved for a million dollar home, but once Bill brought me back to reality, I realized we couldn't afford it and it would be a HUGE mistake. He did the math and showed me that our monthly income would barely cover our mortgage, then what about everything else? If things go as some wish they would, this will actually hurt us. Because we didn't buy a home that we couldn't afford, we will be punished and those that took out loans that were way above their ability to pay will be saved and have their mortgage rates frozen. Those people that knew that it was possible that their rates would go up with an adjustable rate and didn't prepare will benefit from these rate freezes, while people like Bill and me will have to wait longer to purchase a house.

Another one of my "favorite" topics is the credit card debt. Again, some people actually believe that the government should step in and lower their interest rates on their credit cards. Did they not read the contract when they signed up for the credit card? There have been many times in my life when I've been at the mall and really wanted a pair of shoes, jeans, jacket, etc (you get the point), but because I knew that I wouldn't be able to pay it off at the end of the month, I couldn't buy it. Why do people think that the government should save them from shopping too much? It's called a budget!

Sorry for my rant and rave, but I just get so upset at people believing that the government should step up and relieve them of responsibility!

I get so stressed out about not having money...maybe I should just max out my credit cards, buy a house, and let the government save me.



Robers Out!

9 Shoutouts!:

Grady Family said...

Amen, Sister! We hear those stories all the time, especially from the parents of the kids I teach who live in trailer parks and drive an Escalade!

caxline said...

my little paigey is growing up...you're big strong republican hubby is the best thing that ever happened to you!!!

kkp1220 said...

who really reads the fine print of contracts? i am still paying for an alarm in a house that i don't live in and haven't lived in for 2 years;-)

xoxo

CrazyRossHouse said...

I think Kelsey is still paying for the gym near her old house in AZ and for weightwatchers online too.

Gotta love Bill. We knew we loved him when he had a cat named REAGAN...nevermind that he had to take him to the pound to be ^^adopted^^

I hear ya sis!! But, when was the last time you went to the mall and wanted something and realized you couldn't afford it and didn't buy it. By the looks of your closet, you could sell Juicy Couture and high end jeans as a 2nd job!!

Hugs

jackson'smama said...

I'm with you girl! Great post! : )

Anonymous said...

Forget Hillary--Paige for President!!!
Bill for King!!!!!

Michelle Wing said...

I'm going with Courtney on this one...since when have you not bought something that you saw at the mall?! Is this something new that I should be concerned with?

Kelly said...

I have been frequently checking out your blog and finally decided to create an account so that I could leave comments.
You are too funny. I completely agree with you.
Kelly
P.S. How was my first comment?

Anonymous said...

You write very well.