We sent Grandma Polly off with a party that would make her proud; large crowd with all her loved ones, music picked by her, and a police escort driving us right by her house. The only thing I think she would have wanted would've been the police sirens on:) My grandma loved the spotlight on her! My dad, mom, and uncle did an amazing job honoring all her wishes.
It's been a hard few days and I don't think I've cried so hard or so much in my entire life. I have been so lucky to have had both my Grandmas play such an important role in my life for so long and still blessed to have Grandma Agnes with us today. Growing up I always remembered wanting to go over to Grandma Polly's house. We always had so much fun over there. She would let us do whatever we wanted. Kelsey and I were talking about going to church with her and playing in the room with candles lit for the deceased. I mean seriously who lets kids do that? We had to be total terrors in church and she never got mad at us. She was such a special grandma and my sisters and I all shared a special bond with her.
I am comforted in the fact that she is with our Heavenly Father and with her husband, mom and dad, sisters, brothers, and all her loved ones. This is one of the very few times that my faith has been tested: "Is there really a God?" "Does Heaven really exist?" "Does she remember us?" "Is she telling Papa Derk all about us?" "Is she even reunited with these people?" I'm not going to tell you that I've never doubted because I have, but there have been a few incidences and "signs" that have just been too powerful to deny. My grandma's sister passed away 6 months ago and my grandma woke up at the same exact time that she passed asking about her. The morning that she passed she asked Thelma (her caretaker) if she heard her mom calling her. (And yes Grandma, Courtney, Candace, and I got your "sign" today.) One of my Grandma's favorite snack foods was cheese puffs and we went to eat lunch at McDonalds today and in the booth next to us was a group of teenagers eating an entire bag of cheese puffs with their hamburgers. I mean seriously, when have you ever seen that? Grandma, we know that you are safe and happy, but we can't help but miss you. You will forever be a part of us and your stories will live on forever! Thank you for everything you did for us. You showed us what unconditional love is. You will be missed!
.jpg)

.jpg)
.jpg)


3 Shoutouts!:
What a touching tribute! I'm sure that Hayley is old enough, she'll appreciate the pictures she has with her Great-Grandma.
Your pictures were both appropriate, and toucing. It truly captivated how special she was, and how much you loved her.
My deepest sympathy to your families.
Great pictures! These will be treasured forever.
Who did her hair at your wedding;-0
Post a Comment