Monday, March 14, 2011

Ainsley's Birthday

After much debate and deliberation we decided to be induced with this baby. I was a little apprehensive, but after talking with my OB about my concerns of a higher c-section possibility and increased pain, I decided to do it as long as he would do it on the 13th, my Grandma Polly's birthday. He said that my chances of a c-section would not change, and since I was doing an epidural I would be fine. He agreed to do it on the 13th, and since my body needed help with Hayley (I was put on pitocin with her since I was not dilated), the chances of me needing help again would be high. It was nice to have a plan in place so I wouldn't need to call someone at 3:00 am to come get Hayley.

We went in Saturday night and they gave me Cytotec to soften my cervix. That didn't work as well as they had planned, so my OB came in at 7 am to break my water. They were going to start the pitocin, but wanted to wait a little to see how I would progress on my own. My cervix was completely softened and I was dilated at about 1 cm when he broke my water. I started having contractions shortly after and at about noon I was dilated to 5 cm. At about 12:45pm, my epidural was starting to wear off. That was my concern when they gave me the epidural so early. The anesthesiologist quickly came back and gave me a little boost. (Those anesthesiologists are the BEST!) I was checked again and was at 10 cm. The nurse called my OB and got the room ready. While we were waiting (about 15 min) the nurse told me to practice push. I did one push and she quickly yelled "stop! stop!" Apparently, Ainsley was right there and ready to come out. About 5 min later, we look out the window and see my OB's truck come flying through the parking lot and him sprinting into the hospital. He comes in, throws on a gown and gloves, gets in position, and tells me to push. Her head came right out and she was completely out the next push. Yep, 2 pushes (3 if you count my practice push). It was crazy how fast she came. She just couldn't wait to meet her momma!

She is perfect in every way! I don't think I've put her down since she's been born. The first few days were my favorite. I kick Bill out of the hospital at nights and it was just me and my baby. This is my only time I get to sleep with her so I took full advantage of it.

A HUGE thank you to our friends Julia and Jeff for taking Hayley for the night and all day. It was so nice to know that she was in good hands and with people who love her almost as much as we do. And a big thank you to Karin for being with us in the delivery room and taking pictures of Ainsley as she was being born. Sorry you had to witness me at my worst, but good thing we had you sign that confidentiality agreement.

Welcome to the world Ainsley! Your parents and your big sister love you more than anything. We are ready to watch you grow up and experience the world! Hayley loves to be around you more and more each time she gets to "Hold you baby!"

5 Shoutouts!:

Ali C. said...

We love you already. You are a beautiful little baby.

Cheryl said...

Awe...I love birth stories :) Confidentiality agreement...too funny! Welcome to the world, Ainsley!

Anonymous said...

I am so glad you shared!!!!! As a recent patron of labor and delivery, I join you in your salute to anesthesiologists everywhere! :) Ainsley is perfect in every way!

The Porter Family said...

Welcome baby Ainsley!!! We love you more than you know and you have the most amazing big sister and parents. Ainsley, next time your mommy and daddy decide to expand your family again you and Hayley are coming to us and we promise to snuggle on you and your big sister until you are sick of us! Robers family, you mean the world to us and we couldn't ask for better friends! xoxo

grammieross said...

All these new photos are beautiful. She is too precious. I love the photos of Hayley ad her. What a beautiful family!!! Gid bless all of you. Love, Grammie Ross