Because August is National Breastfeeding Month, I thought it was a good idea to write about my experience; not only to remember and document it, but also to be able to look back when I am struggling to nurse my 2nd.
I am currently typing this and nursing Hayley AT THE SAME TIME, a task I never thought possible. As I sit here and look at her, I realize that one day soon this special moment between us is coming to an end. I never thought I’d say this, but I am not looking forward to that day. Nursing had to be about the hardest thing I have ever done. There was nothing natural about this for us. We struggled daily and there were many times that I was ready to jump out the window with her. Courtney had warned me that it would hurt and be hard, but there is just no preparation for this kind of pain. There were moments that I would dread feeding time, now I look forward to it. It's a special time that's just for Hayley and me and nobody can take that away from us. I find myself going up to her room during the day just to nurse her in her rocking chair because it's so peaceful. I love how dark and quiet it is. There is no tv, computer, or music to distract us, and it's just the two of us. And just when I think it can't get better, she's done and then just wants to lay on my chest and cuddle with me. It was a long tough road and I am so thankful that God gave me the strength to push through the pain because I would never have been able to experience the joy of nursing.

6 Shoutouts!:
Yeah for you! I really enjoyed nursing Andrew too. I also enjoyed all of the weight that I lost! Too bad it is rapidly creepy back on! There is still the occasional night when he wakes up and doesn't want to go back to sleep that I wish he was still nursing. There is nothing better than putting a boob in a babies mouth to get them to go back to sleep!
It also helps knowing that there is Similac Advance with Early Shield to fall back on and the fact that you have so many of us that you (and Courtney!) can call and get what you need!
Amen Kari...don't forget about me:) Way to go Paige, I'd like to say #2 is easier, but it's not and the pain is just the same!!!
Isn't it the best? Sonoma County does a breastfeeding awareness calendar/campaign this month so I entered a picture of Grey and me nursing on a trail in Tahoe :)
It's natural, but it can be difficult in the beginning. So worth the effort, however. You've done very well and Hayley Paige is thriving. Love you both.
I miss nursing. I just didn't make enough milk for my hungry little man. Thanks for all those Similac coupons you have sent over the last few months. I will try again with our next baby. I get to see you in 2 days!
Post a Comment