Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Who Knew?

It's no secret that I have a champagne taste on a beer budget and Bill is thrifty! Through college he was very diligent to not open random credit cards, where I would open one just to get a free t-shirt (don't act shocked...you did it too). He saves every dime where I lived at home so I could spend every dime! When he proposed and we were trying to get an apartment he wanted to get a copy of my credit report. OMG...is he serious? He's going to freak out when he sees how many credit cards I have open. I tried to delay it as much as possible, but when the landlords requested a copy from each of us I was stuck. We get his report and I think it's 1, maybe 2 pages top. We then get mine and it's about 33 pages (Yep! 33 pages). I thought his head was going to spin! I think I had a credit card to every store in the mall that would give me one. As you all know he had me on a tight budget and would Quicken everything dime I spent throughout our 1st year of marriage, which caused many arguments and is an entire blog in itself (which has already been done for those of you just following).




Fast forward to now! We are in the process of getting pre-approved for a mortgage and need to get another credit report, along with our credit scores. One would think that Bill would have a higher credit score than me, right? WRONG! I was about 5 points higher than him (well, at least on one of them)!! Oh Yeah...I rubbed it in a little (you would too)! Who would have ever guessed? He was so mad that he immediately sent a complaint report to one of his credit cards because they showed that he had a credit limit of $0 on one of his credit cards and he thinks that is incorrect and is effecting his score negatively. He also called a mortgage guy and asked why he thinks my credit score is higher. He said that I have a 15-year credit history, meaning that I have had a credit card for 15 years. You do the math, that would mean I had a credit card at 14! That correct....thanks daddy! I have the best daddy in the world. Who knew that giving a 14 yr old a credit card would end up paying off? Maybe I should be the one Quickening Bill?:)



So some financial advice to all:
Shop till you drop!
Give your children a credit card at a young age!




Robers Out!

4 Shoutouts!:

Michelle Wing said...

That is fantastic! Perhaps I should run Brian's to see what it is. I can just see Bill now calling the credit company to get his changed. It's a good thing we opened all of those cards when we were in college. I knew we were being smart!!

Anonymous said...

Great Job Paige! When I got my credit score I was still on one of parents credit cards and it helped me too :)
Too bad you guys aren't closer or we could tease him about this all weekend :)

themonteleones said...

I thought COurtney's blog was great tonight but your's might have been just as good. I always knew that those college credit cards were worth it!!!

Katy said...

Oh good...so I'm in luck then? I think we opened those cards at the same time - those free shirts, candy, etc. was SO worth it! :)