Friday, November 28, 2008

We're Thankful she didn't want to meet us before we were ready!

On Tuesday, I was experiencing some pains, but I just thought they were ligament pains. I figured since I was on my feet all day that my body was just telling me that it was tired and I needed to go to bed. The pains continued severely throughout the night and about 2am, I got up and got on the Internet to make sure what I was feeling was normal. I didn't want to go to the ER because I didn't want them to tell me they were braxton hicks contractions or ligament pains and think I was crazy. After about an hour of research I came to the conclusion that I probably should head to the ER, but I wanted to wait 'til the morning when my dad was up. I went in to sleep with my mom, but my body had other things in mind. I was at a constant level of pain with a much higher level of severity every 5 minutes...needless to say I was not sleeping at all and kept waking up my mom with my wincing and moaning. She finally had enough of me and at 4am we headed off to St. Jude's Hospital. They brought me straight up to Labor and Delivery, put monitors on the baby, and started running tests on me. They concluded that I had a bladder infection, which was causing me to have contractions. They gave me medication (Terbutaline) to stop the contractions, an antibiotic to clear up my bladder infection, and sent me home after a few hours. I got home and slept for about 2 hrs. When I woke up I still wasn't feeling any better. I now was starting to vomit, which was not the best when trying to stay hydrated and keep antibiotics down. At about 9pm Bill and I decided that I needed to go back to the hospital. Nothing like going to the ER twice in one day and having the ER nurses recognize you. This time they gave me an IV of an anti-nausea medication to stop my vomiting, an antibiotic, and fluids to rehydrate me. They then took me to get a detailed ultrasound. They were worried about my appendix and kidneys, as well as the baby. I'm happy and thankful to report that the baby was just fine, but since I was still having contractions they were going to admit me back to L&D. They continued to give me Terbutaline throughout the night and an IV. By the morning I was feeling much better, but then took a turn for the worse when they changed my medication to another one that would stop my contractions. I got so sick and even the anti-nausea medication wasn't working. Once that wore off, I was back to my normal self and they put be back on the Terbutaline. I was feeling much better! They said I could go home around 8pm, but they thought that it might be better to stay one more night to be monitored and to make sure I'd keep dinner and breakfast down. So another night in the comfortable hospital beds being hooked up to 3 different monitors!!
I am home now and feeling much better. I was discharged on my antibiotics and Terbutaline. I am so thankful that everything turned out just fine and our little peanut was not ready to come into this world. I have never had a bladder infection and let me tell you it is not fun. I just hope these antibiotics clear it up fast because then I can get off the Terbutaline too. They say that the bladder infection is causing irritation which is causing the contractions.
On a sadder note, I was not able to go to Black Friday. I was so looking forward to it and hope that all those who I convinced to go had a good time and got lots of good things! I am happy to report that I convinced my nurse to leave work to go to Kohl's on my behalf:) She had never been shopping on Black Friday and after looking at all the ads Bill brought in for me she was ready to try it. She came back to report her experience and said she had a great time, but couldn't believe how many people were there.
So on this Thanksgiving, aside of the obvious which we are thankful for, we are especially thankful for our health and the health of our unborn baby girl.

24 Shoutouts!:

Anonymous said...

Geez o Pete, Paige!!! I guess lunch with the old work gals was a little much!!! So glad you are feeling better! Stay in bed for a few days, please!! I was thinking about you this morning early, wondering how the black friday festivities were going....relax and keep baby girl in the oven for about 14 more weeks!!

Michelle Wing said...

I'm so glad you are feeling better. I just wanted to come down there and crawl in bed with you. Keep our little girl safe.

Kelly said...

So glad to hear that you are feeling better. I didn't realize it had gotten worse since I talked to you on Wednesday. So relieved to hear the baby is well. Talk to you soon.

Ali C. said...

So I have been worried for 2 days since you texted me. Don't do that to me. But I am glad everything is fine. Keep drinking water!

cari said...

We are so glad you are okay and back home~~ :)

Aimee said...

Oh Paige! I'm glad everything is ok. I thought of you when I was up at 4am and heading to the mall...that's a bummer!

kkp1220 said...

Glad you are feeling better.

Nice excuse to miss the chaos at home;-)

Sorry you missed black friday. Cari and i did it up right;-)

xoxo

caxline said...

you sure did make for an eventful Thanksgiving. Living up to the "never a dull moment". I missed our annual shopping day but I think I ended up okay with my new shopping buddy - Matt. He's more of a big ticket kinda guy!!!

Grady Family said...

My goodness!!! You sure know how to make a holiday exciting! Tell that little girl to stay put:) I hope you are feeling much now soon.

Julie said...

Paige~
So glad you are feeling so much better. Take care of yourself these next couple of days!

Sandy said...

Glad you are doing better Paige!! I was worried about you!!! Sorry you had to miss Black Friday, I know you were excited for it!!! ;) Hope someone was able to bring you some homemade Turkey dinner so you didn't have to eat the hospital version!!! ;)

Elizabeth said...

I am so happy everything is ok! What a scare... you have had quite the run! Since you are having a tougher-than-usual pregnancy, I'm guessing that means you are going to have a mellow little munchin when she arrives :-) Take good care of yourself & little peanut!!!

Anonymous said...

All is well, thank God. It was not chaos, Kelsey, only 6 of us (and 4 kids). We're off tomorrow to San Diego to await the arrival of Baby Cheetah on Monday morning.

themonteleones said...

WOW Paige, that is so scary!!! I'm glad you are feeling better and I agree that you are going to have a very easy baby with all the pain she has caused you so far.

Anonymous said...

How scary! I'm so happy that everything is okay and you're feeling better.

The Scotts said...

Glad to hear you and the baby are safe!

Kelli

Anonymous said...

How scary!!! Let's hope she stays put for a few more months.

The Naves said...

Glad everyone is safe. Keep drinking lots of water! So, did you spend Thanksgving day in the hopsital? As odd as it sounds, I bet you were happy to be at home with family close when that all happened. Take care and Happy Thanksgiving!

Jeana said...

My goodness... that sounds terrifying! I'll keep you in my thoughts!

mommyreview.com said...

Glad you & babe are ok. Sending some prayers!

Anonymous said...

The Bey family is sending more prayers your way. Hope you completely recover soon, Paige, and that the little one is also no worse for wear. :) You definitely had a happy start to the holidays!

Cheryl said...

Glad everything turned out okay, and the baby is healthy and still comfy in her mommy's belly :) Happy belated Thanksgiving!

Mommy said...

I am so glad that you and your baby girl are doing well.

The Stiles Family said...

I am glad it all turned out okay. It is so hard to be sick when you are pregnant. It makes it more of a scary experience because you are worried about your baby. You are a trooper with this pregnancy. It has been a tough ride for you. She is showing you her love:)